Velorex 562 and SR500

• Hello,

First of all sorry for speaking english but I don't speaky any german, only some words.

I'm french, and I own two SR500 48T.
    And I'm planning to hack on one of them.

My choice is a Velorex 562.

I know I'll have to buy some "universal fastenings", but I'm not sure if it will need some modification to the SR frame or not ?

Also is it really important to get a velorex with a 20 mm axis (axle) or 15mm is fine ?
    Maybe it's possible to convert later ?

Thanks for any help. If someone is willing to share a maximum of information, I'll be very happy.

I'm not new to sidecar, I got one on a vespa.

• Hello Lor@n,
    for help / information about sidecars and the situation in France you should contact christophe and franz in biblisheim pres de strassbourg.

mailto: angelique.weber3 AT wanadoo.fr

Roland

- Rencontre XT/SR 500, 18-20 April
    - 6éme RENCONTRE INTERNATIONALE SIDE-CARS BIBLISHEIM, 16-20 Mai

• Same here,
    15 mm on the sidecar axle ist good enough for normal use.

But I think the original frame is too weak. Most SR500 have extra supporting frames.

I have a SR500 combination page online; maybe you know somebody to translate it?

http://motorang.com/bucheli-projekt/gespann.htm

Best regards
    Andy

der liebe gott will nicht, dass aluminium glänzt (kohai) * Bucheli-Projekt, Forums-Einsteigerwissen, Sölkpasstreffen > motorang.com/sr500

• Ok thanks for these first info.

So I'll go for 15mm.

I'm surely going back to you, for more question.

Especially Velorex if you haven't done any modification to your SR500 frame, info are more than welcome.

Marschall, I really like your fork, is it home made ?

• You can get new Frames with 20mm Axle by:

R.Köhler
    Würzburgerstraße 570
    90768 Fürth
    0911/736700

Price: 444,- with 20mm Axle.
    Also Universal Fix-Kit for low money.

It`s the safty of your passenger/s!

Salut,

• The 17mm axle ist a very low-cost modification.

You can use an original SR500 rear-axle without any mods.

Drill out the 15mm axle with an 17mm drill.
    And then push the 17mm axle through the hole an weld it with two points at the inner side of the swing-arm to make sur that the axle will nut turn around.

After this you can use a original SR rear-wheel, including the brake !

I took one with an destroyed chain-wheel-holder (oder wie heißt der KBT auf english ?)

Take a look on the 15mm axle...it may be strong enough, but it don´t look like this ;)

1978 SR500, 1981 SR500, 1990 Springer Softail, 1995 XJR1200......und nix neueres

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von RAQJ1 ()

• No, it is from Walcher, a SideBike Company.

• @Willy G : what do you mean by low cost ?
    How much ?

Do the shop mentionned have an email, cause I don't speak german.

Or if someone else has a good shop for universal fixing.
    I've found mz-b.de, but maybe there is cheaper elsewhere.

RAQJ1 : thanks for the hint. I'll have to find another rear wheel...

• Hy,
    I don`t know the price for the fix-kit.
    And this firm has no E-Mail Adress.
    Try to speak in english with the guys I´m sure they understand.
    I have the adress from "Motorrad Gespanne" a magazin only for sidecar motorbikes and not avaible at the magazin stores.

Google and you will find it.

• Hi,

thats not a safety question. IF the 15mm axle has a problem, it bends a little. It might break after you bend it back to the original position, maybe.

I am still waiting for this to happen ... the original 15mm axle is still straight and working flawless ...

Considering safety, I would rather invest the money in a double disc front brake conversion.

BR Andy

der liebe gott will nicht, dass aluminium glänzt (kohai) * Bucheli-Projekt, Forums-Einsteigerwissen, Sölkpasstreffen > motorang.com/sr500

• Salut,Loran!

My francais ends here.
    Now to the Sidecar: It is all original, but the Yamaha frame and rear fork are heavy modified by Gunnar Carell in Haren/Ems for a lot of money. Four fixing points on the frame, Koni shocks and white power springs in the front fork as well as Telefix stabilisator and steering damper. Sorry, no pictures, it is for repair for weeks in the other part of town.

Tommy

• Hi Lor@n,

MZ-B in Berlin is a good place to buy, reasonabel prices and they can be contactet online.

Mr Köhler in Fürth is as well ok, but...no email. The 20 mm kit, that he offers, (177 Euro) has cosiderable advantages: 3 ball-bearing instead of 2, a break-mount allready built for 20 mm, and the fork is createt that long it alloges an original wheel-suspension of the SR 500. So getting a spare weel-suspension becomes very easy, and riding comfort improves a lot (no more bumps). I mountet it on my velorex 562, and..no regrets so far.

Mounting the Velorex to the SR 500 You will need the universal fixing kit (MZ-B or Köhler) plus 2 custom made parts (your local blacksmith) plus the upper front fixing plate of the Jawa-Kit (MZ-B).

This upper front fixing plate works perfectly with the SR 500, because it fits to be welded into the SR-Frame in front of the engine crank-case
    (the triangle, where the skid-plate is situated). To get an rear lower fixing you may have to create an auxiliar frame, that is bolted into the two suspensions of the main stand. Imagine a Triangle of steel-tube, formed like a irregular Y. Its right arm goes staight from the main stand fixing at the right side back under the muffler, there it is fixed to the muffler support with a flat (4 mm) stripe of steel. The left arm of the Y goes slightly bent to the left main stand fixing. (You have to chop the silly expansion-chamber of the muffler, no more place left for). In this way the rear lower fixing will be at the level of the rear wheel-suspensions giving plenty of space for the kick-starter (less importent, if You mount Your sidecar left hand).

Finaly, the "easiest" way to get an upper rear fixing is the use of the upper rear suspension bolt of the schock absorber. The bolt itself is to weak to support the fixing, so you have to cut it away, then drill a 10 mm hole into the steel-cylinder that supports the rear suspension all across the frame and use a high grade 10 mm bolt with an 14 mm ending with thread to fix an eyebolt. Sounds scary, but my motorbike is
    assembled exactly that way since 10 years. The whole contraption even survived a crash (sidecar into an 320 BMW).

Hope i gave usefull information.

Regards, Markus

• Hi Lor@n

the first pics, one per post
    lower front

• lower rear

• lower front

• this is the original upper front fixing of the jawa, welded onto the yamaha frame in the lower front position. it is the only welding done to the frame.

• upper front, using an original jawa-clamp

• next

Letzte Aktivitäten

• MartinV

Hat eine Antwort im Thema Ich sag auch mal Hallo verfasst.
    Beitrag
    Welcome back, Wickie :382:
    und Grüße aus Würzzburg
  • Horni

Hat eine Antwort im Thema Kaltstart verfasst.
    Beitrag
    OK, danke. Aber wie gesagt, kommt normal nicht vor, aber ich werde es mir merken für den Fall der Fälle :20:
  • moik

Hat eine Antwort im Thema Hinterradnabe hat Risse und Felgen restaurieren verfasst.
    Beitrag
    Edit... Ein bisschen was hab ich schon darüber rausgefunden mittlerweile. Polieren, selbst einspeichen, oder lassen wenn mann es sich nicht zutraut und am besten gleich umbau der Kettenrad/Andruckdämpferträgers. Also, am besten ich schau mich nach…
  • tecuberlin

Hat mit Haha auf den Beitrag von Wickie im Thema Ich sag auch mal Hallo reagiert.
    Reaktion (Beitrag)
    […]

manchmal ist meine Leitung lang :lol: ich schick meinen Bruder einfach auch zum Gespanntreffen :495:
  • Wickie

Beitrag
    […]

manchmal ist meine Leitung lang :lol: ich schick meinen Bruder einfach auch zum Gespanntreffen :495:
  • tecuberlin

Beitrag
    Was jetzt: Schraddelpeter macht ne Gespannparty wo der Dr. Hasenbein ne Visite auf 2 Rädern machen möchte. Und wer ist jetzt der Bruder von Wicki?🤔🤪
  • Wickie

Beitrag
    […]

Du meinst bei meinem Bruder? Der ist leider eher der Eigenbrötler... aber ich versuch im sommer mal mit meiner 79, hin zu fahren und mit meiner Bruder und der 86er eine kleine Tour zu fahren.
    Da sag ich gerne Bescheid.
  • tecuberlin

Beitrag
    Hej Horni,

ne abgesoffene Kerze bekommste mit gezogenem Deko und mehrmaligen Durchtretens (5/6 mal), mit voll geöffnetem Gas, meist wieder trocken.
  • Horni

Beitrag
    Also hier nochmal in MEINEM Fall erklärt...irgendwann kennt man sein Bike ja und weiß genau wie es tickt.
    Ankicken mit Joke normal sofort aufs erste Mal an. Auf keinen Fall am Gasgriff beim Ankicken drehen, wenn es beim ersten Mal nicht klappen…
  • Horni

Beitrag
    Standgas minimal hoch. So funktioniert es mit Joke bei mir...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!