Lean carburation?

• Hello,
    After six months of sleep my SR has starting to roar again on this morning :) ...
    ... but... something doesn't seem OK. ?(
    Here's the problem: although the engine is hot, is runs only with choke middle opened. If I release the choke, it slows down and then stops.

I've tried to check with Colortune, here's what it says:
    - choke on, flame is orange-ish (obviously, rich mixture);
    - choke off, flame is blue-ish. It should indicate right mixture, but as I wrote before the engine slows down and after a little it stops. It keeps on running only if I twist the grip a little bit but, doing that, the engine backfires.

(Engine is as factory fitted, standard air filter and muffler.)

Could it be something connect to lean carburation? I remember that something like this happened also during last times I started the bike, but in a very minor way.

Can anybody help me?

Greetings! :ber:

• Hello (Moin) Muffler,

the sole state of lean carburation is present by the time the Bike is pushing the engine.

A few years ago i`ve got the problem too.
    In my case there was an internal bypass at the sparc-plug that occurs only at high-voltage. By measuring by multimeter-tools no circuit was detected.
    Afer 2 weeks of "research" i simply change the sparc-plug and everything was fine.

please test the intake-fitting too.
    Spray some brake-cleaner or fuel on the fitting while the engine runs. If the engine speed is changing, you have to seal the fitting.

best Regards
    Jens

• Zitat

Original von Frisch
    the sole state of lean carburation is present by the time the Bike is pushing the engine.

sorry, i was wrong. In the case above there becomes not lean but rich carburation in purpose to avoid exchaust-banging while the engine is pushed.

Regards
    Jens

• Hello,
    Thanks for the answer. I've checked the rubber joints: while the one between air filter and carb looks OK, the Ansaugstutzen between carb and engine head is full of little cracks. I don't know if they reach the inner side of the rubber... Also noticed that, although the circular metal retainer around the Ansaugstutzen is very tight, the carb moves slightly if twisted a little bit.

I'll try the spray-test and the high voltage check. I'll let you know ASAP.

Thanks! :ber:

• Zitat

Original von Muffler82
    ... the Ansaugstutzen between carb and engine head is full of little cracks.

That's the way the Stutzen normally looks.

Zitat

I don't know if they reach the inner side of the rubber...

Normally, they don't.

Why don't you just try and adjust a little higher idle speed?

Regards
    Sven

• Hmm. I don't think it's something related to low idle speed: it's true that if I twist the grip a little (= set the idle speed a bit higher) the engine doesn't stop, but it it starts backfiring.

Greetings

Simone

• hello simone

come stai?? spero bene :D

secondo me try the trick with the break cleaner since "IF" you have a vacuum leak then the speed will increase substantially.
    And if the gomme di farfallati is as old as i think it is than time to change it anyways.
    Otherwise or anyways listen to svens tips.

ciao

christian

PS: And if worse comes to worse im in may in firenze :ber: =)

And I believed in Joe when he said we had to fight
    And I believed in Jimmy when he told us to unite

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Hudriwudri ()

• Zitat

Original von sven
    Ignition setup o.k.?

It looked OK, but I didn't check thoroughly. I'll take a closer look.

• Hallo Christian!

Alles gut, danke. What about you?

Yes, the intake rubber manifold is very old. I fear it's the same they installed in Yamaha in 1981 8o ...

Kustomweekend! :) I'll try to get there, but I'm not promising anything: my girlfriend and her family are moving to a new house, so it's very likely I'll have to stay and help them.

Simone

• News :)
    I've tried the "spray-on-Ansaugstutzen" trick in the afternoon: speed didn't increase very much, but the engine began staying on at idle without any problem.

Anyway, it keeps on misfiring when I turn the grip X(

I've then dismantled the Ansaugstutzen to check its effective conditions: it's really bad... I've already ordered a new one, obviously with new gasket. I've also took off the carb to check if it's allright inside.

I'll keep you updated.

Greetings :ber:

Muffler

(P.S. Since I like to torment my brain, I'm preparing a self-made circuit to install an alternator warning light on my SR. I'll let you know about this trifle, too...)

• No news about the carburation unfortunately :( , but I've tested my circuit to make the alternator warning light working: everything seems fine, obviously I've had to check it with an AC-DC power supply because of the dismantled carb.

• I've disassembled the carb: pilot jet was almost completely obstructed 8o ... Maybe it was the problem's cause.

Simone

• Zitat

Original von Muffler82
    I've disassembled the carb: pilot jet was almost completely obstructed 8o ... Maybe it was the problem's cause.

Simone

I've reassembled and reinstalled the carb, after a good rinse in solvent, a KEDO Vergaser-Reparatur-Set, a new Ansaugstutzen, and so on. Result: engine now keeps on running very well, and revs up with no hesitation. :)

Here's what Colortune says: everything is fine at idle (blue flame, correct mixture), ...
    ... but... :a:
    when I twist the grip, mixture gets richer and richer (orange flame) although engine runs normally (no backfiring, etc).

Will moving jet needle's clip up solve the problem?

Simone

• no stai tranquillo perche tu usi un pompa di acceleratione io credo/certo?
    altrimenti: Never change a (adesso) running system :D
    siamo in firenze al fino di prossima settimana!

ciao e tanti saluti da me e rosa

Chri+ro

PS: sistema della colortune non e molto accurato e con risultato molto ordine o preciso

And I believed in Joe when he said we had to fight
    And I believed in Jimmy when he told us to unite

• Hallo Christian und Rosa! :)
    So you are in Florence now! Do you like being in Tuscany? I hope you're having a good time! Me and my girlfriend will try to get there to meet you, most likely on Saturday because of work. I'll let you know.

Unfortunately my Mikuni VM34SS hasn't got the accelerator pump any more: it's been token off (broken?) by previous owner. :(
    Although this, I notice a quite high fuel consumption all the same, also without considering what Colortune says: to start the bike I connected a funnel to the carb with a short plastic tube (not to bother with Benzintank), I then filled with fuel until half a glass of it could be viewable remaining in the funnel. Engine started with no choke, a couple of minutes to warm up twisting grip a little bit, and the fuel that was previuosly viewable in the funnel... was viewable no more. 8o It was already out! ?(

Maybe the best way to see real mixture situation is really to get on the road, "in gear", and then check Zuendkerze's colour, instead of controlling with bike stopped on central stand. I'll try as soon as possible: Sitzbank is at upholsterer's the moment and I should drive sat on relays :tongue:

Simone

Letzte Aktivitäten

• fatagaga

Hat eine Antwort im Thema Totpunkt verfasst.
    Beitrag
    Hallo Peter Oldman,

danke für die Antwort!
    Die Karre hat jetzt 74 000 runter und alles in allem fahre ich in letzter Zeit wirklich nur noch hier in Köln rum. Dass ich mal durchs Bergische Land odernoch weiter brause, ist etwas aus der Mode gekommen. Als…
  • moik

Hat eine Antwort im Thema Hinterradnabe hat Risse und Felgen restaurieren verfasst.
    Beitrag
    Also, zuerst sorry für die schlechten Fotos, Originaldatein waren zu große deshalb Handy Screenshot :(! Es waren auf jeden Fall nur oberflächlige Risse, hab das Rad sowieso ausgebaut und zerlegt mit meinem Schrauber des Vertrauens und nach dem…
  • moik

Thema
    Hallo Freunde!
    In meiner SR500 ist ein 1e6 60 verbaut, ich bin mir nicht recht sicher welcher Vergaser das genau ist! Er sieht aus wie ein VM 32 wie ich ihn in meiner XT hatte. Leider funktionieren die Links zu den Explosionszeichnungen nicht mehr und ich…
  • Hiha

Hat eine Antwort im Thema Hinterradnabe hat Risse und Felgen restaurieren verfasst.
    Beitrag
    Das Foto ist jetzt nicht das beste Beispiel, aber das Einzige wo ich ein Foto hab. Die letzten 5mm hat man nicht mit freiem Auge erkennen können, und der Riss am Kerzenloch hat von mir kein Rot abgekriegt, drum schwitzt der auch nicht. Das ist ein Kopf…
  • oldman

Hat eine Antwort im Thema "Der Berg ruft" auch dieses Jahr zur Sternfahrt verfasst.
    Beitrag
    So ist jedenfalls der Plan ;)

...wie immer ± um Zehn
  • oldman

Beitrag
    Interessehalber ...hätte man den eingefärbten Riss auch ohne RW erkannt? Neben dem Kerzenloch ist auch ein kurzer Riss zu sehen.
  • Hiha

Beitrag

So schlimm kann das dann aussehen :)
    Gruß
    Hans
  • Mambu

Beitrag
    […]

...hat aber nichts mit Pommes "rot-weiß" zu tun! :411:

Herzliche Grüße
    Mambu
  • Hiha

Beitrag
    Auch unter "rot-weiß-Verfahren" bekannt.
    Gruß
    Hans
  • Fump

Beitrag
    Das heißt Farbeindringprüfung -außer man nimmt halt Öl

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!