What makes it easier to start?

• I rode the SR500 a lot in the '90's, drive it to work 50 miles each way for a year and it was always hard to start, usually taking a dozen kicks or more and I often had to clean the plug to get it going. It always ran good once I got it going but was usually a bear to start.
    I never did find out why it was so hard but when I resurrected it recently I did a lot of work on it to try and make it start easier. I replaced the weak original coil, changed the carb for a better one and fixed a lot of the wiring that had corroded connector pins and it keeps getting easier to start. Sometimes I can start it wearing sandals, something I never would have thought possible in the '90's.
    I did a lot of running around today and stopped and started a lot and the SR started on the first kick 5 times! A few times it started on the 2nd kick and the other times it took 3 or more but the 5 one kick starts are amazing!
    That's never happened before! It even started on the first kick the first thing in the morning and I wasn't even kicking hard, just getting it to turn over ready to start at TDC but it fired so I gave it some gas and it took off running! I was wondering what else you guys have found that makes starting easier (or harder) that I haven't tried yet?

72 TS185
    77 XS750
    78 SR500
    80 XS850
    80 XS1100 Midnight Special
    81 Seca XJ750RH

• Hi,
    pretty difficult to say, what exactly makes it easy to start..

From my experiences there are some things that need to be ok to start a SR easily:

- the acmagneto needs to be functional (if the 330 ohm inductor is weak, you will always face starting problems, as the spark and spark coil does not get enough power)
    - the carburetor needs to be setup properly (in my opinion the main reason for staring problems)
    - electrical system needs to be ok, meaning all wires, plugs etc
    - compression needs to be ok (it might be that there ate some cole deposits at the valves that decrease the compression while trying to start)

Gruss,
    Mika

Sprachkurs Deutsch: "was ist das für ein Fall: "Du hättest nie geboren werden sollen" ?
    Antwort: "Präservativ Defekt" :D

• Hi Steve!

I think what Mac said and what you did is usually everything you need to do for a good engine start. Of course we don't know which parts you used (is this a better carb of the same type or a different type of carb?), but a good maintainance of the electrics is what needs to be done!

Maybe you're interested in this: There's a brand new CDI-Booster on the market. First reports say that it works quite well and has a good effect on the enginge start.

You can purchase it at KEDO (link on the top right of the page), the stock number is 41778.

And by the way, the best way to get it running is the right technique. More momentum, less force. And sandals aren't recommended in any case... :D

regards
    Wolfgang

Letzte Aktivitäten

• Karl

Hat eine Antwort im Thema Servus aus der Oberpfalz verfasst.
    Beitrag
    […]

...nur die ami-2j2 hatten meines wissens scheibe, die japan-2j2 nicht.
    und nein, ich hätte die auch nicht gekauft, gute entscheidung bei so viel unwägbarkeiten.
  • MartinB

Beitrag
    Er meinte er hat einen der vorbeikommt, wenn ich sie nicht nehme.
    Denke nicht, dass einer dafür auch nur 800 zahlt.
  • martin58

Beitrag
    Moin,
    mit dem Verkäufer hatte ich vor einigen Wochen telefoniert. Ich hatte ihm gesagt, für den Haufen mit der obskuren EZ würde ich max. 800 Euro hinlegen. Damals hatte er das Konglomerat noch für 1499 inseriert.
    Er nannte irgendeine Untergrenze,…
  • Mambu

Hat eine Antwort im Thema Minton verfasst.
    Beitrag
    :ber: ...
    ...und das nicht vergessen:

..."Minton: In addition to the slide modification and the larger main jet, you need to raise the needle 1mm and maybe go down a needle jet or two. If you have an early SR, you can simply move the needle clip down one
  • Paddler

Hat das Thema Motorradtransport mit Spedition? gestartet.
    Thema
    Moin.

Ich müsste ein kleines Motorrad aus dem Schwarzwald nach Norddeutschland transportieren (lassen), und würde das gerne mit einer Motorradspedition machen. Hat jemand einen Tip bzw. Erfahrungen, welcher Transporteur empfehlenswert ist?

Vielen Dank.

• Martin M

Beitrag
    Viel Spaß damit!
  • MartinB

Beitrag
    […]

War wirklich so. Wäre mir dann zu riskant für den Preis gewesen.

Deshalb wird es die aus dem Forum :)
  • Logu69

Hat eine Antwort im Thema Minton verfasst.
    Beitrag

Asche auf mein Haupt Mambu Asche auf mein Haupt.

Ich war da vorhin ziemlich falsch. Als Cutaway bezeichnen man den Konischen Teil auf der Luftfilterseite ( wie die Kerbe die man
    bei Bäume fällen raus schneidet )
    Es gibt sogar ( für andere Vergaser )…
  • Hiha

Beitrag
    Es muss halt sinnvollerweise eine Enumakette dazu gekauft werden.
    Gruß
    Hans
  • guzzimatz

Beitrag
    Das Schraubschloss ist ja im Prinzip ähnlich wie vernietet. ich würde so ein Teil bedenkenlos einsetzen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!