Introduce myself - and pick your brains already

• Hi all - thought I should introduce myself

Name is Nick, and I live in England, and have an XT550, KTM 400EXC, and an SR500 under restoration.

Hopefully I will have it on the road by next year, but it needs a lot of work. Next job being to finish welding the frame, and repair the oil strainer thread in the front downtube - does anyone know the thread size?

Hopefully the translator works, and I will post some picutres of the SR as I get on with it

Nick

• Welcome!

I like the XT550, I thought about buying one, but then I got my SR ;)

I don't know about the thread size, I would check it, but I don't have my motorcycle here right now ;)
    What else has to be done before you can go on the road?

Where in England do you live?

Greetings from Aachen

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."
    - Homer Simpson

• XT550 was bought as a basket case, and took about a year to rebuild. (It was in an old tin bath in bits). Its not in the KTM league off road, but is great for sunny days and relaxed riding

The SR is a real challenge. So far I have made and welded back on the stand mounts, remade the upper shock mounts, replaced the side panel mounts, replaced the steering lock stop, removed the rear footrest hanger, added brackets for an electrics plate under the seat and remade the exhaust mount shorter.

Forks have been polished and rebuilt, with upper yoke polished by me too.

Next job is paint the frame if I can fix the oil strainer thread.

I have bought an aluminium swinging arm for it, and a cafe racer seat, so getting the running gear together is target for next few months.

Engine needs a complete strip as it has not run for years, and looking at the rest of the bike will have been butchered by the previous owner.

Will post some pictures when I can work out how to make them smaller

Nick

• That sounds like some work.

My dad and me are rebuilding a SR at the moment as well, it didn't run since 1996... After cleaning the carburetor and replacing the old pipes it worked after 2 kicks ;)

Are you going to check the gearbox as well or only the engine? How many miles did the motorcycle run?
    If you need some parts you should check out http://www.kedo.de (if you haven't already done so).

Greetings from Aachen

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."
    - Homer Simpson

• Bike has done 50000 miles - so full engine rebuild - crank, rebore, valves, bearings etc.

The screwdriver marks on the casings at the spilt line are the worrying bit.............

Nick

• Welcome from Hamburg and good luck in rebuilding the SR.

Finally, there is someone in the UK, who knows and owns a SR. :yl:

We´ve been at the Brighton Burn Up for the last years and I never got to know someone who knows the SR.

Everybody in the UK seems to know the XT 500, but nobody knows the SR. 8o
    Maybe because there are enough classic british singles?

Greetings

Thomas

Letzte Aktivitäten

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!