New guy from Denmark

• Hallo!

I hope its okay to write in english. Didn´t pay enough attention in my german-lessons. (So sorry) :)

Late summer, 2011 i bought a 48T from 1993. (From Germany) Sadly, its only a 17 kW. So I am trying to get some tips on how i can make it a bit faster and stronger, without destoying the engine and stability.

I hope you can lead me in the right direction.

I will try and find the right places to post my questions

Claus
    Denmark

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Adelgren ()

Tried Google Translate. It just made it worse. :) Well okay....I do understand a little german. But not enough to understand all the technical stuff. And certainly not enough to write in german. :)

• Dags og hjerteligt velkommen!

I nødvendig vi også tale dansk endnu i skrive jeg er ikke so god.

Lothar

• hi there and wellkome to the circle of mad kickers of the one and only real stew, which you can´t eat. :yl:

okay, I am not familary with the streetrestrictions for denmark but first try to by an old CDI from the early types. for example a 1991 model. then a VM34ss carburator. at least a new intake air duct, the gum between clynder and carburator. for that check KEDO, link on this pages top left, broschure also available in english.

all this updates will give you 4-5 hp more, not verry exspensive but effective.

good luck.

sorry top right, not left, not left.

Könich Jörg, der die Glocke nicht trifft..... :326:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nenzi ()

• Thank you all for the warm welcome :)

I have been given som good tips on how to increase power/performance. Here and on email.

I think i will start with the intake (between the carb and cylinder). Do i need to rejet the carb? Or can i run with it, as it is?

I have been recommended to change the airfilter to a K&N.

Next i will put on a more "potent" muffler. For sound....and hopefully a little more power.
    The downpipe is 45 mm, where the muffler connects. And 48 mm further back. The seller told me that the downpipe was from an older model.

These things are pretty cheap. And i hope to stick with that. I´m not to keen on changing the piston and cams, since my skills are very basic. :o)
    (I know a little bit from the 90´s when i had a 1979 Yamaha FS1 4 gear moped) :o)

• By the way: Danish laws sucks, and are pretty strict, when it comes to changing ANYTHING on a motorbike (or car for that matter) But as long as lights and numberplates are placed correctly and safety is okay, they normally won´t do anything. And if your vehicle doesn´t make to much noise, they will let you go. So it is a balance act :o) So about the muffler, i hope to find a fairly cheap one, that won´t make to much noise. But still sounds potent and deep.

• Erstmal herzlich willkommen hier in Babylon, Adelgren, wenn ich auch vom Rest der Unterhaltung nicht so viel verstehe. Über eure Sprachverwandschaft kann man übrigens hier was lernen...

good luck with www-translators

• Hello to Denmark :433:

before ordering and changing parts, you might first want to check which modelyear your SR500 is.

if it was registered in 1993 it does not necessarily mean it has been build in this year...could have been 2-3 years at shop, wouldnt be too unusual.

you can check this by framenumber

there have been quite some changes, not sure if 91 or 93, due to regulations changing on noise and emission

not all of the changes led to lower power.

e.g somewhen cdi was changed, that might have been just due to changes on alternator, but as far as I know it does not limit rpm

for you worst changes are:
    -cam: different timing and less stroke
    -piston: lower compression

that can be changed, but is, if not done by yourself, quite costintensive

I once drove an sr that was changed from the 24hp to the "open" 27hp with Wunderlich kit (former customer in Germany)

did not feel like an old sr 500...

without changing piston, cam, maybe also carb and maybe muffler (has different number, not sure if due to reduction of hp or just some "whatsoever" changes) , I dont think you will make the full power

sorry if this is not answer you have expected

from my personal view newer models are nice as often in quite good condition, and a good bike for one who just wants to enjoy a classic bike without any changes

older models do have more power and (at least over here) do offer more possibilities of changes, like other carbs, mufflers etc

as "search" function is in German, I add here link to serial ubers for your refference

serial numbers

• Thanks! I´ll check the frame number soon, to see if it really is a 17 kW.

By the way: If i want to lower the rpm at cruising speed, is it posible to put on a rear sprocket that is 2-3 teeth lower? Or will my 17 kW be to weak to handle that gearing?

(Also want to change the rear sprocket, to one with holes in it, so i will be able to use a compact lock, that way, not having disc brakes and posibility of using a disc brake lock.)

• Hi Claus!
    Yes it is possible to change the gears. But you should keep in mind, that it is not favorable to run the engine below 3000rpm because it wears out the engine.

• I´ll keep that in mind. Actually, i can´t remember what rpm it runs with, at 80 km/h i 5th gear, as it is now. But i don´t think that it is under 3000 rpm.

I have been looking at a AFAM rear sprocket. Is that good quality? I don´t know what pitch my 48T runs with. But the sprocket i´ve been looking at, is #520

• ...okay. I´m a bit confused :o) I can see its a 55 teeth rearsprocket on my bike. And looking at AFAMs page, it is pitch #428. Is that correct?

• hej

if you have 55 at rear its the 428, we call it "bicycle chain" ;)

the choice on different sprockets is quite low.

you can change sprockets and chain to 420, like xt500, there are lots of sprockets available

530 is standard on former sr500, actually thats oversice, 420 is absolutly sufficient and has lower loss of power from engine to wheel....

5th gear is already in factary ratio an overdrive...

with 17kw I personally wouldnt go for longer ratio, but for shorter, better acceleration in low gear and can shift earlier to upper gear for fuel saving at cruising speed

• 428 a bicycle chain?? :D Because its thinner? I actually think it looks pretty thick, the one that is on now. :)

• well, width is like 420, but division is even shorter, thats why for same diameter sprockets have more tooth

the 530 is even bigger.....

a 420 without o-rings is smaler, lighter, eats less of the little sr500 power, but needs much more maintainence

might be the cheapest options to have as much as possible of the 17kw on wheel...

if you maintain it well (lubrication, tension)

Letzte Aktivitäten

• Rippel

Hat eine Antwort im Thema die "LASSO" SR mal wieder in neuen Händen.... verfasst.
    Beitrag
    […]

Würde ich dir Recht geben....aber dann wäre es keine Replica der in USA gebauten LASSO SOLU
  • Rippel

Reaktion (Beitrag)
    Die Verlegung der Züge über den Tacho würde mich stören. Ebenso finde ich das Rücklicht unpassend platziert. In die Heckverkleidung eingesetzt wäre es eine rundere Sache.
  • Logu69

Hat eine Antwort im Thema Felgenbreite 2,50 hinten, 18 oder 19 Zoll vorne??? verfasst.
    Beitrag
    Alternativ
    Felge vorn 2 Zoll, 100er Reifen (Continental Road Attack)
    Felge hinten 3 Zoll, 130er Reifen (Continental Road Attack)

Hallo
    Hinten wäre das dann ein 130/90 x 18 Reifen.
    Passt der in die Original Schwinge ?

Einen schönen Gruss.
    Gunner
  • gruden

Hat eine Antwort im Thema die "LASSO" SR mal wieder in neuen Händen.... verfasst.
    Beitrag
    Die Verlegung der Züge über den Tacho würde mich stören. Ebenso finde ich das Rücklicht unpassend platziert. In die Heckverkleidung eingesetzt wäre es eine rundere Sache.
  • tecuberlin

Hat eine Antwort im Thema Börde Klassik Motorrad vs. Krowdrace verfasst.
    Beitrag
    Habe gerade erfahren, dass die Krowdrace-Flattrack-Rennveranstaltungsreihe stirbt. R.I.P.

Wirklich schade, ich bin da immer gern hingegangen.
  • Tobster

Beitrag
    Sag bitte nicht, das ist Deine Garage!
    Sonst bin ich der erste Mensch, der vor Begeisterung stirbt =O
  • easy!

Beitrag
    Schöne gerade Linie von Tank und Sitzbank! Gefällt. Der Kennzeichenhalter ist auch gut gewählt, wenn‘s denn einer sein muss.
    Das Schutzblech, wenn es denn farbig sein soll, hätte ich in der Farbe des Tanks mit rotem mittleren Streifen gestaltet, um das…
  • Frau J.-B.

Reaktion (Beitrag)
    Das Leben ist zu kurz um originale Moppeds zu fahren.
    Hier im Norden trinkt man Grog übrigens ohne Zylinder.
  • Redfrog

Hat eine Antwort im Thema Felgenbreite 2,50 hinten, 18 oder 19 Zoll vorne??? verfasst.
    Beitrag
    Hi,
    ich habe sehr gute Erfahrung mit mit folgenden Paarungen gemacht:
    Felge vorn 1.85 Zoll, 90er Reifen (ContiGo)
    Felge hinten 3.00 Zoll, 130er Reifen (ContiGo)

Alternativ
    Felge vorn 2 Zoll, 100er Reifen (Continental Road Attack)
    Felge hinten 3 Zoll, 130er…
  • liessemb

Hat mit Gefällt mir auf den Beitrag von guzzimatz im Thema Satteltaschenhalter reagiert.
    Reaktion (Beitrag)
    Ich hab mir einen gebrauchten Hepco & Becker Gepäckträger besorgt Dazu Gepäcktaschen einer BMW F650 dran. Passt !!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!